Membership of the League is divided into five categories:
1. Life Member – Open to all of those who have been awarded a Level 2 or Level 3 Gallantry Award issued by the United Kingdom or Commonwealth.
Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) 1854 – 1993
Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM) 1855 – 1993
George Medal (GM) 1940
Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying) (CGM) 1943 – 1993
Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC) 1995
Distinguished Service Order (DSO) (when awarded for Gallantry)
Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) 1914
Distinguished Service Medal (DSM) 1914 – 1993
Military Cross (MC) 1914
Military Medal (MM) 1916 – 1993
Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) 1918
Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM) 1918 – 1993
Air Force Cross (AFC) 1918 (when awarded for gallantry)
Air Force Medal (AFM) 1918 – 1993 (when awarded for gallantry)
Queen’s Gallantry Medal (QGM) 1974
The Order of the British Empire (CBE, OBE, MBE) and the British Empire Medal (BEM) (when awarded for gallantry)
Sea Gallantry Medal
Star of Gallantry (SG) 1975
Star of Courage (SC) 1991
Bravery Medal (BM) 1975
Medal for Gallantry (MG) 1991
Star of Military Valour (SMV) 1993
Star of Courage (SC) 1972
Medal of Bravery (MB) 1972
Medal of Military Valour (MMV) 1993
Gallantry Star (NZGS) 1999
Bravery Star (NZBS) 1999
Gallantry Decoration (NZGD) 1999
Bravery Decoration (NZBD) 1999
Midal Jura’at us-Sultan ul-Battuli / The Sultans Bravery Medal (WB) 1967.
Life members shall pay an annual fee and have full voting rights. Recipients of any other gallantry award deemed worthy of membership may apply for membership and each case will be subject to investigation and approval by the committee, taking expert advice where necessary.
2. Honorary Life Member – Such individuals whom the Executive Committee may, from time to time, nominate and duly appoint at a meeting of the Committee due to their outstanding contribution to the League or whose activities provide for the long term benefit of the League.
3. Honorary Member – Spouse or partner of a deceased Life Member, or the spouse or partner of a deceased holder of a Level 2 or 3 award who had not yet joined the League at the time of their decease, or a holder of any other gallantry award which ranks above those awards in 1 above. Honorary Members will pay no fees nor will they hold voting rights. The holder of any Level 1 gallantry award may become an Honorary Member.
4. Associate Member – Open to family and direct descendants of a Life Member of the League, living or deceased, or family and direct descendants of a deceased holder of a Level 2 or Level 3 gallantry award who had not yet joined the League at the time of their decease, or other persons as approved by the Executive Committee. These members shall pay an annual fee but have no voting rights. A Family Associate Membership is available for up to 4 members of the family or direct descendants living at the same address.
5. Friends of the League – Any person who, subject to the discretion of the Committee, wishes to assist the League in the furtherance of its aims. Friends shall pay an annual fee and shall be entitled to all rights and privileges of membership with the exception of voting rights.